MHG34513 - Skye, Kendrom
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) SITE (Undated)
- RADAR STATION (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
Martin Briscoe has uploaded photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. The images are linked directly to this record, but follow the link to the Flickr group (at the bottom of this record) to see further comments. <1>
The radar base occupying a prominent position overlooking the Minch and Inner Sound. It was linked to the nearby RAF camp at Kilmaluag and the Army camp (Cameron Highlanders) at Balmacqueen.. The remains are roofless, with stone walls topped by brick. Concrete bases of other structures are evident nearby as well as at the bottom of the hill leading up to the Station. During the war the station brought an influx of considerable numbers of service personnel into a very rural, lightly populated Gaelic-speaking area.
Carmichael, Mary 2011.The Crofters and the War. Recollections of Skye, Raasay, Lochalsh and Wester Ross during the Second World War. <2>
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2012. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Broadford. Yes. Digital. Site 78.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 4517 7376 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG34513 (View images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/141156 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.