MHG3547 - Early to mid-C19 Lighthouse and associated buildings - Lochend, Caledonian Canal
The early C19 Telford lighthouse at Lochend, guiding craft from Loch Ness into Caledonian Canal. It was listed in 1971.
Type and Period (2)
- LIGHTHOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1815 AD to 1815 AD (circa))
- (Alternate Type) TOLL HOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1815 AD to 1815 AD (circa))
The mid-C19 lighthouse (though formed from an early C19 original Telford building complex) and associated buildings at Lochend, guiding craft from Loch Ness into Caledonian Canal.
It was listed at Category B in 1971. Thomas Telford, circa 1815. 2-storey octagonal lighthouse with various single-storey additions extending north and east, group closed to rear by high coped rubble wall. Buildings all white harled. Shallow round-headed recesses in ground floor with windows in alternate facets; square recesses in alternate 1st floor facets; 1st floor oriel projects at west (to contain former light'); piended slate roof. Irregular single-storey ranges with varied fenestration and slate roofs. Light to guide craft from Loch Ness into Caledonian Canal. Small quay close to 'lighthouse', probably site of Bona Ferry. This stretch of the canal opened in 1818. <1>
Photographs of the lighthouse were taken for the Highland Archaeology Fesitval Photographic Competition in 2010 by Georgia Bell. <2>
It is proposed to make alterations and change the use of the store to form a residential unit (listed building consent application 10/05096/LBC). The building is fully described in the statement of significance by LDN Architects. It is notable that the building is described on contemporary drawings as "Dwelling house and store at Bona". It is conjectured that the octagonal design, used by Telford elsewhere on toll roads, may point to an original use as a toll house, though documentary evidence is lacking. It is likely that it became a lighthouse in 1847-8. <3>
A photographic survey of the building was carried out by LDN Architects in 2014 in relation to planning application 10/05095/FUL. A small number of earlier photographs, dating back to 2009 were also submitted. <4>
The statutory address and listed building record were updated by Historic Scotland in 2014 as part of the Scottish Canals estate review (2013-14). <5>
- <1> SHG24041 Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 8034.
- <2> SHG25070 Image/Photograph(s): Private individuals. 10/2010. Entries in the Highland Archaeology Festival Photographic Competition, 2010. Colour. Yes. Digital. Georgia Bell.
- <3> SHG25179 Text/Report: LDN Architects. 08/2009. Bona Lighthouse: Statement of Significance. LDN Architects. . Digital.
- <4> SHG26212 Image/Photograph(s): LDN Architects. 2014. Photographic Survey - Bona Lighthouse. Colour. Digital.
- <5> SHG27356 Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Dixon, C.. 2014. Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, One Hundred and Sixty Fourth Amendment) 2014. Historic Scotland. 23/06/2014. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6019 3771 (27m by 29m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB8034 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13180 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.