MHG3565 - Brinmore

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CEMETERY (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Grave Yard (Disused) {NAT} Supposed Site of Chapel {NR}
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1905)

The site of a Roman Catholic chapel situated in a small piece of uncultivated ground, now a disused burying ground. Nothing is known about it, and there is nothing to denote where it stood. All that can be seen are a few large round stones partly under ground marking the graves....."The site shown..is the supposed site and is a small green mound".
Name Book 1871.

"On the west side of a small hill called Tork (? Creagan an Tuirc), in the parish of Dunlichity, is Chapel Field, where, it is said, the parish church or chapel stood before it was transformed to Dunlichity"
NSA (Rev J Macphail) 1845.

At this site (NH 6664 2881) is a mound 59.0m east-west, 28.0m north-south, rising about 1.0m above the surrounding pasture land. The top of the mound is pitted with hollows of amorphous character, and no building outline can be discerned among them or at the position of the published siting symbol (NH 6663 2881). No gravestones can now be found. Visited by OS (R D L) 28 August 1963.

At this location there is a mound, possibly natural, aligned from ENE to WSW, along which there are sub-rectangular depressions and a few boulders. There was no trace of a building or any burials. The E end was under crop at the date of visit and the mound has been heavily disturbed by rabbit-burrowing.
(USN93 21)
Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 8 October 1992.


Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 20, 87 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3351.


NSA, 1845, The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, Vol. 14, Inverness-shire, 519 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2597.


RCAHMS, 1994, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Upper Strathnairn, Inverness: an archaeological survey: summary report (Text/Report). SHG2676.

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6663 2881 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH62NE
Civil Parish DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.