MHG36572 - Site of Killundine House, Morvern
Originating pre-1755, the house was altered and extended, finally being deroofed and then demolished in the mid 1960s.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (18th Century - 1755 AD to 1755 AD (pre))
- None recorded
Killundine House was destroyed in the 1950's. RCAHMS holds two photographs of the house by Iain Thornber in their archive. <1>
Iain Thornber has provided an extract from his forthcoming publication on the lost houses of Lochaber which includes the images mentioned above. The extract is held offline but copies can be provided on request for personal use.
"The original house was built sometime before 1755. Property of the Duke of Argyll until 1821 when it was sold to the occupying tacksman. Purchased in 1859 by Lt Col Charles Cheape who, in 1871, added a new block at the front giving the house its distinctly Victorian appearance seen in the above photograph. The house changed hands several times until it was bought by the Department of Agriculture who removed the roof to avoid paying taxes. The remaining shell was demolished in the mid 1960s by the present owners." <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NM 5864 4923 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/178869 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.