MHG373 - St Mary's Chapel
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
St Mary's Chapel [NR] (rems of) [NAT] OS 1:10,000 map, 1975.
'Caithness Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by A.S.Cowper & I.Ross.
The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies. Published 1992.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
Remains of poss C12th chapel said in 1726 to be dedicated to St Peter (W Macfarlane 1906) but which writers from Pennant in 1769 (T Pennant 1774) onwards have assigned to St Mary, an assignation supported by the fact that a holy and healing spring well, 15 chains to S and associated with chapel, bears that dedication. There is no local traditional dedication.
Much the oldest surviving ecclesiastical structure in Caithness, the chapel consists of nave and reconstructed chancel, an anachronistically early feature occurring in the form of sloping door jambs more suited to an Irish-type chapel than to an orthodox medieval structure. Both nave and chancel are roofless, the latter having been rebuilt on the old foundation in 1871 to serve as a burial place for the Gunn family. It measures 11 ft 3 ins E-W by 10 ft 9 ins N-S with walls 2 ft 6 ins thick. Separated from the chancel by a solid wall pierced by a doorway, the nave measures 17 ft 10 ins E-W by 10 ft 11 ins N-S within 4 ft thick drystone walls of irregularly coursed local whinstone. The N wall is 8 ft high, about its original height; the S wall is damaged but still stands 6 to 7 ft high; the W wall is badly damaged, especially externally, and stands to a height of 11 ft 8 ins and the E wall stands 15 ft high. Enough survives of each wall to establish that there has been no window. In the W wall there is an entrance, now closed up, 2 ft 3 ins wide at ground level, 1 ft 9 ins wide at the top, and 3 ft 11 ins high. The entrance to chancel is of similar height, 2 ft 9 ins wide at ground level and 2 ft 1 in wide at the top. Chapel is surrounded by a graveyard, still in use in 1872, enclosed by stone walls.
W Macfarlane 1906; T Pennant 1774; Name Book 1872; J Anderson 1873; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910; Information from H Dryden (MS and plans in NMAS library, SAS Mss Nos. 22 & 190).
Generally as described, the chapel contains seven recumbent grave slabs on which the earliest discernible date is 1692. The graveyard is still in use.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 28 October 1964.
This was possibly an early religious site since a Pictish symbol stone and evidence of occupation as late as the 8th century were found in the nearby broch (ND07SW 4).
E W MacKie 1975.
St Mary's Chapel, Crosskirk (Information from DoE name plate) is as described by the previous authorities.
Visited by OS (N K B) 13 August 1981.
St Mary's Well is now dry and in a dilapidated condition.
Visited by OS (J B) 28 August 1981.
A grass-covered wall, 31 m long and 0.5 m high, runs NE from the NE corner of the chapel, which is probably superimposed on it.
R J Mercer 1982.
Scheduled with adjacent broch (ND07SW 4).
Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 30 June 1995.
West Caithness Local Plan, May 1987: P27/2.52. Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites.
POLICY - In considering development proposals, the Council will safeguard scheduled Ancient Monuments and important Archaeological Sites insofar as this is compatible with their aim of achieving a sound employment for the local population.
J Aitken : 22/05/01.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: A S Cowper & I Ross. 1992. Caithness Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 3.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.). 1906-8. Geographical collections relating to Scotland. Vol. 1, 185.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacKie, E W. 1975. Scotland: an archaeological guide: from the earliest times to the twelfth century. 229.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R J. 1981. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: volume II, 1980-81. University of Edinburgh. 30/12/1981. Paper and Digital. 139, No. 329.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Pennant, T. 1774. A tour in Scotland, and voyage to the Hebrides; MDCCLXII. 348-9.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . xxviii-xxix, 89-90, No. 338; fig. 18.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Anderson, J. 1873. 'Introduction'. SHG2857. xcvii-xcviii.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 9, 3, 9.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0249 7008 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM90086 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8005 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.