MHG3734 - Cairn Arc
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CAIRN (Undated)
- (Alternate Type) BEACON (Undated)
- None recorded
Site visit by HC 24/ 02/2004 in response to a proposal to extend Carnach Point as part of a Harbour Revision Order. A linear cleared area extends from the end of the point in a north-westerly direction and a small pile of stones lies c. 40m along this area. This cairn measured approximately 1m diameter and stood less than 0.5m high; it does not apear to be of antiquity. No trace of the line of boulders and large cairn noted by the OS in 1960 could be identified at low tide.
(NH 6597 4726) Cairn Arc (OE)
OS 6"map, (1938)
"Cairn Arc... This name is applied to an ancient cairn of stones situated near the end of the Breakwater at the mouth of the Ness. In it a post is set to warn approaching vessels fo the danger and hence its name "airc" (Gaelic) meaning danger. The Anglicized form is that now used by the Town Authorities."
Name Book 1868.
"There is at some distance from the mouth of the river Ness, a considerable way within flood mark, a large cairn of stones...It is called Cairnairc, that is, cairn of the sea. There is a beacon erected on Cairnairc, to apprize vessels coming into the river, of danger from it". Three cairns lie west fo Carinairc, in the Beauly Firth. In the most westerly, probably Carn Dubh (NH64NW 4) urns were found.
"Many urns and relics were found in these ( Carn-Arc, Carn-Dubh, Redcastle) and tradition has it that the level of this portion was higher of old than now and that the rivers Beauly and Ness ran down as rivers all the way to Fort George".
A Ross 1888.
A line of boulders extends in a north-westerly direction from the breakwater at the mouth of the River Ness for a distance of c. 50m terminating in a low mound of small stones c. 1m high and c. 6m across. This mound would appear to be all that remains of Cairn Airc. The line of boulders leading to the mound no doubt formed an earlier or additional breakwater with the cairn at the end, being utilised as a beacon as mentioned by Name Book 1878 and OSA 1793. The cairn is now in a very ruinous condition.
Visited by OS (W D J) 29 April 1960.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Ross, A. 1888. 'Paper on old Inverness', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 2 1880-3, p.64-92. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 64-92. 66.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 9, 631.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 28, No. 239.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 33, 5.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6596 4726 (30m by 30m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13403 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.