MHG3768 - Lochardil
Class I symbol stone, depicting a bull, similar to those on the Burghead stones.
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) SITE (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- INSCRIBED STONE (Pictish to Early Medieval - 300 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
NH64SE 46 665 438.
A stone with an incised symbol of a bull, was found 'in an old dyke close to Provost Ross' house at Inverness' (NH 66524380), but was moved to the stables at Lochardill (c.NH 66 42).
J R Allen 1903. <1>
(Also information from the Highland News and Football Times, 3 August 1979.)
Now at Stoneyfield House in the possession of Mrs Torrance.
RCAHMS 1985. <2>
Class I symbol stone bearing a bull. <3>
The stone is now the legal property of Mrs Torrance, due to a 20 year lapse in claiming through the Treasure Trove process. Viewing can be arranged. The property is for sale and Inverness Museum and Art Gallery are consulting with Mrs Torrance over the future of the stone. It is hoped that a drawing of the stone can be made, through Ian Fisher, RCAHMS. <4>
Included in a catalogue of the Pictish Symbol Stones at Inverness Museum & Art Gallery, original version 1994, updated 2010. This stone is currently (2010-2011) on loan to Inverness Museum. <5>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Lochardil Pictish Stone. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Jackson, A. 1984. The symbol stones of Scotland: a social anthropological resolution to the problem of the Picts.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Allen and Anderson, J R and J. 1903. The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation. 103; fig. 107.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Ritchie, J N G. 1985. Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985. 12.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: Mack, A. 1997. Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones. 111.
- <4> Verbal Communication: Fox, A M. Comments by Alison Fox, Highland Council Archaeology Unit. 09/01/2002.
- <5> Text/Publication/Booklet: Inverness Museum. 2010. A Catalogue of the Pictish Symbol Stones at Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Paper (Copy).
- <6> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6649 4379 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
- RAZOR (Undated)
- SYMBOL STONE (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13529 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.