MHG3776 - Cist w finds, Culduthel
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NH64SE 36 6662 4224.
A small Bronze Age square cist, containing a skeleton, beaker, eight flint arrowheads, bone toggle, amber bead, and a rare stone arm-bracer (used by archers to protect their arms from the bowstring) mounted with four large gold caps measuring about a quarter of an inch across their heads; was found on a school building site at Culduthel (NH 664 420) near Inverness on 22nd November 1975. (Information from L Wedderburn, Asst. Curator, Inverness Museum)
Information from The Scotsman 25 November 1975.
Excavated in 1976. The rivets on the bracer were of bronze or copper, capped with sheet gold. The beaker is of Clarke’s N2 (L) group. It had an impression of a grain of barley on the base. The amber bead has an hour-glass perforation towards one edge. <1>
The stone armlet with gold capped copper rivets was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned an Early Bronze Age date. <2>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Cist.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 13, No. 67.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Clarke, D. V., Cowie, T.G., Foxon, A.. 1985. Symbols of Power at the time of Stonehenge. pp. 267.
- <2> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 61.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6662 4223 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
- BEAKER (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- BARBED AND TANGED ARROWHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- ARM GUARD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- BEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- TOGGLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-136-604-C& (Link to online NMS catalogue record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13519 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-136-604-C& (Link to online SCRAN record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.