MHG38832 - Farm steading, Rhumach, Rhu


Farm steading at Rhumach, Rhu

Type and Period (2)

  • FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
  • FARMYARD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Archaeological evaluation work in advance of reforestation determined that this L-shaped farm steading surrounded by an enclosure wall was still roofed and appeared to have been converted for livestock use. The structures are depicted on the OS 1:10 000 (1975) map, as well as the 1st and 2nd editions of the OS 6 inch maps (Inverness-shire, sheet CXX, 1876/1900).
Information from CFA Report 1994 (No. 161) MS/726/176
Sponsor: Scottish Woodlands Ltd.

This survey, undertaken in 2014 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al, covered the land around Taigh a’Phortair (Porter’s Lodge) Rhumach Field and Steadings.

Site 27. Rhumach Steading. Large stone built, L-shaped building. Stone walled yard at rear with 6 doors opening into steading. Contains cattle crush and feeding trough. Floor mud filled – no stone flooring apparent. Yard walls approx. 2 m. high. Bounded by the east extremity of continuous wall which surrounds field and steading area. Boundary wall 1.5 m. in height throughout this entire area.

NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <2>

1st Edition OS 6" <3>

Sources/Archives (3)



Grid reference Centred NM 6360 8529 (25m by 23m)
Map sheet NM68NW
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.