MHG3884 - Brin School
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- SQUARE BARROW (Undated)
- (Alternate Type) ROUND BARROW (Undated)
On a low gravel ridge in improved pasture above the E bank of the River Nairn, there is a group of ditched barrows, with a length of bank immediately to the SW. The site has suffered considerable disturbance: it has been ploughed over, holes have been dug in some of the barrows, and a trackway, which is marked on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1874, sheet xxxi), has run through it from NE to SW. Nevertheless, at least five mounds can be identified. Probing suggests that they are composed of a mixture of earth and stone, but they do not appear to be markedly more stony than the ground around them. Four of the mounds (USN93 200, 202-4) are oval or sub-circular, ranging from 5m to 10m in length and from 4.2m to 8.6m in breadth, and standing up to 0.6m high. The fifth (USN93 201) is rectangular, measuring 8m in length by 4.8m in breadth and 0.75m in height; this is much disturbed, but there is a suggestion that it may consist of two contiguous square mounds, that to the NE being later. With the exception of one barrow which is practically circular (USN93 204), the longer axis in every case lies NE-SW. All but one of the barrows have traces of an enclosing ditch, up to 0.15m in depth; that around the rectangular mound is broken by a causeway at three of its corners, and those around at least two of the oval mounds are also interrupted by causeways.
The bank lies just below the SW end of the ridge, running SE-NW for about 22m; there are traces of a ditch on its NE side and it turns to the SW at either end, suggesting that it formed the NE end of a rectangular enclosure.
Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 21 October 1992. <1>
A proposal for re-scheduling was received from Historic Scotland for comment in September 2006. <2>
- --- SHG11583 Image/Photograph(s): Circular structures.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG4053 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
- <1> SHG2676 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1994. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Upper Strathnairn, Inverness: an archaeological survey: summary report. .
- <2> SHG23606 Text/Correspondence: Historic Scotland. 2006. Brin Nursery, Barrow Cemetery 70m NNW of. Digital (scanned as PDF).
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6629 2898 (102m by 101m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM11495 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/78792 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.