MHG39276 - St Columba's Roman Catholic, Drimmen
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NM55SW 1 5477 5497.
St Columba's Chapel (NAT) On site of Drimnin Castle (NR)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)
The chapel, still roofed, occupies the N end of a ridge around the extremity of which is a wall, about 0.9m thick, presumably part of a walled enclosure associated with the castle. The S end of the ridge is occupied by modern graves.
Visited by OS (R L) 10 June 1970.
In 1838 The Castle was demolished by Sir Charles Gordon of Drimnin, to make way for a private Roman Catholic chapel which is now derelict.
RCAHMS 1980; Info from D Wilson, 1836 (held in SRO, RHP 3258); NSA 1845.
Bonnavoulion, St Columba's Church (RC). Disused. Built and designed by the Edinburgh wright-architect James Anderson (1838) on the site of Drimnin Castle, overlooking the Sound of Mull. Harled box with an E tower. Forceful detail. Crowstepped gables and battlemented parapet, the tower's rising above a corbelled blocking-course. Rusticated quoins at the corners and at the round-arched windows and door; big bullseye in the tower's top stage.
J Gifford 1992.
The chapel building has been de-roofed; only a few neatly-stacked slates and pieces of lead remain outside the door.
Information from Mrs. P Martin (Peat Inn, Fife), 23 September 1998.
Generated from NM55SW0001 See for associated References and Listing with photo
This building has now been removed from the Buildings at Risk regster. <1>
Martin Briscoe has submitted photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Gifford, J. 1992. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. Paper (Original). 230.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 7, (Argyll), 184.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1980. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Argyll: an inventory of the monuments volume 3: Mull, Tiree, Coll and Northern Argyll (excluding the early medieval and later monuments of Iona). . 191, No. 338.
- <1> Text/Correspondence: RCAHMS. 02/2012. Email from Isabel Fry re St Columba's Church (Former) Drimnin, Lochaber division. Digital.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 5477 5497 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (4)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB13938 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/BAR/detail.aspx?sctID=1003 (Buildings at Risk register entry)
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG39276 (View images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22336 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.