MHG39490 - Cross Slab, Creagan A'Bheannaich Chapel
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS SLAB (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
At Sandside House (NC 95 65) there is a stone with incised symbols which was found built into a stone dyke not far from Thigh a' Bheannaich, a name which suggests site of an ancient oratory or church. The stone is a rectangular sandstone block 2ft 5ins long, 9ins broad, and 8ins thick. On face is incised a small stemmed circle or orb, 4ins in diameter, containiing an equal- armed cross. The stem is 3.5ins long, 1ins broad where it joins the circle, and 1.5ns at base. Beneath, and occupying breadth of the stone is a plain circle with a diameter of 8ins.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
Shurrery, Caithness, cross-slab
Measurements: H 0.74m, W 0.23m, D 0.20m
Stone type: sandstone
Place of discovery: ND 0408 5783
Present location: Sandside House, against a wall in front of the house.
Evidence for discovery: found in the first decade of the 20th century built into a stone dyke near Shurrery and thought to have come from a chapel site at Tigh a’ Bheannaich, the slab was taken to Sandside House by 1910. Sometime later the date 1911 was cut at the base of the stone.
Present condition: good.
Finely pecked lines define a simple encircled cross set on a splayed shaft, and below there is a plain circle almost the entire width of the slab. Despite it being a perfect circle, there is no trace of a compass hole at the centre.
Date range: seventh or eighth century.
References: RCAHMS 1911, no 406; Blackie & Macaulay 1998: no 19.
Compiled by A Ritchie 2016
See link below to HES Canmore record for photographs of the stone.
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 109, No. 406; 110, No. 409; pl. XXXVI.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0407 5782 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2660 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/318979/creagan-a-bheannaich-chapel-and-graveyard (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.