MHG39557 - Prehistoric Settlement - Cor Tulloch

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • SETTLEMENT (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)

Protected Status

Full Description

Cor Tulloch (name verified) is a nucleated settlement surviving as a robbed, turf-covered mound of stones, 32m NW-SE by 30m transversely and 1.5m high, which contains the remains of three structures (A-C on plan by the previous field investigator).
A and B are aisled rectangular houses, in which little is exposed but some pillar stones and lintel slabs, most of which are displaced. There is little evidence of wall facing and in consequence precise measurements are unobtainable (on the plan the pecked lines representing 'vague traces of walling' are highly speculative; house A appears to extent westwards to encompass the L-shaped feature shown on plan.) All that remains of structure C are three upright stone pillars around the rim of a depression with no wall-faces showing; it is therefore impossible to determine the plan without excavation.
A boulder-faced wall, which is exposed intermittently around the S arc of the mound, may originally have enclosed the settlement, but the margins are disturbed by ploughing and robbing.
Visited by OS (N K B) 13 December 1982.

Cor Tulloch (NAT) Settlement (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)

As described by the RCAHMS. Visited by OS (R L) 10 May 1967.

Cor Tulloch is a pear-shaped enclosure, aligned NW-SE, 86 by 73ft, surrounded by a wall c5.5ft thick, faced with large stones and still some 1.5ft high. Parallel with the inner side of the N wall there is a structure roofed with slabs of stone about 6 x 3 x 1ft, their inner ends resting on upright stones. There is now only about 1.5ft headroom and only four of the roofing slabs remain. The structure is about 42 by 15ft. A similar structure parallels the SE side of the enclosure, but lacks any roofing slabs.
Some 12ft inward towards the centre of the enclosure, from the SE end of the northern 'gallery', there are signs of an inner circular wall enclosing an area about 27ft in diameter. Rising from this foundation, at the NW, are two pointed stones about 4-5ft in height above ground level, while a third, similar stone rises from what may be the base of an inner wall surrounding a circular enclosure about 16ft in diameter. There is an entrance to the main enclosure on the NW, 7ft wide.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.

(ND 1513 3553) Cor Tulloch (NR)
Stone Cist containing Human Remains found (NAT)
OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)

'Only part of a wall visible. A number of large stones are lying about. It was partly destroyed about ten years ago for building purposes.' The cist is noted but no details are given.
Name Book 1871.

GIS spatial data created 2018 based OS Master Map. <1>

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 1514 3553 (32m by 35m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND13NE
Civil Parish LATHERON
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (3)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.