MHG39663 - Farnaway Church, Kirkton

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CEMETERY (Undated)

Protected Status

Full Description

NH64NW 8 6055 4520.

(NH 6055 4520) Church (GT) (Ruin){NAT}
OS 6"map, Inverness, 2nd ed., (1906)
------
'Inverness District West Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie . The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies may be encountered. First published 1993, reprinted 1994.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
-----
Farnua & Wardlaw (NH 54) were united into one parish of Kirkhill in 1618. The church of Farnua stood at Kirkton, Bunchrew; where are still the remains of the churchyard with several old stones.
ISSFC 1885, 1893, 1898; T Wallace 1911.

At Kirkton, near Bunchrew, are the remains of the church and churchyard of Farnaway or Fearnaie being now represented only by an enclosure about 20 yards square - of which the north wall is part of the old church; the church once measured 20 yards long by 18 feet wide. The graveyard was once four or five times larger and many skeletons have been discovered in the field north of the road (NH64NW 13) for cup-marked stones in graveyard wall)
W Jolly 1882.

The probable surviving remains of this church is a short stretch of rubble wall 7.2m long and 1.0m thick (as opposed to the graveyard walls thickness of 0.4m). It is featureless, and is 2.0m high above the graveyard's present level, but 3.0m high externally. The graveyard wall is not old, and a datestone, bearing the date 1811, in the east jamb of the southern entrance, may well be the date of its erection. The earliest grave-slab found amid undergrowth, was dated 1742.
Contrary to Jolly (W Jolly 1882), the existing fragment of church wall is on the east side of the graveyard - not the north - and therefore is probably the east gable of the church.
Visited by OS (J L D) 28 March 1962.


Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph). SHG3603.


Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph). SHG3604.


Jolly, W, 1882, On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness; with an appendix on cup-marked stones in the Western Islands, 375 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1317.


ISSFC, 1885, 'The Bunchrew district {excursion to}', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 1 1875-80, p.79-82, 82 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1627.


ISSFC, 1893, 'Excursion to the Aird', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 3 1883-8, p.111-23, 114 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG778.


ISSFC, 1898, 'Excursion to the Aird and Moniack', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 4 1888-95, p.106-7, 106 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG777.


Scott, H et al (eds.), 1915-61, Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation, vi, 471-2 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2773.


Cowan, I B, 1967, The parishes of medieval Scotland, 206-7 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG367.


RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region, 24, No. 183 (Text/Report). SHG2673.


Edited by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie, 1994, Inverness District West Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2160.

Sources/Archives (10)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6055 4520 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH64NW
Civil Parish KIRKHILL
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.