MHG3976 - Fort - An Sgurr, Eigg
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FORT (Early Bronze Age to Pictish - 2400 BC? to 900 AD?)
NM48SE 6 4612 8474.
(NM 461 847) A fort, 1320' long and 300' broad, with an area of more than 9 acres, lies on the east end of An Sgurr, a sheer-sided table of pitchstone 400' high.
R W Feachem 1963
The only approach is from the west, up a steep and rocky ascent, which has been barred by a drystone wall, 10' thick and 250' long, which connects the brinks of the north and south precipices. An entrance 5' wide exists towards the southern end. The wall is now mainly scree. RCAHMS 1928, visited 1925
A fort generally as described by Feachem and RCAHM. The wall has followed the brink of a W-facing slope and is best preserved towards its N end where the outer face survives to a height of 1.7m. The wall thickness appears to be about 3.2m. Elsewhere the wall has slipped
away and survives as a band of loose debris on the slope. RCAHM's alleged entrance is about 30.0m from the S end where there are traces of a debris-filled gap showing no structural features. A similar but more obvious gap occurs about 20.0m from the N end of the wall. There are no traces of internal occupation.
Visited by OS (ISS) 4 May 1972
Written on rear of photograph IN/780;
'Wall across Scuirr of Eigg
"Along one of these ditch-like gaps, which serves to insulate the Eastern and highest portion of the Scuirr from all its other portions, we find fragments of a rudge wall of uncemented stones, the remains of an ancient hill-fort; which, with its natural rampart of rock on more of its four sides, more than a hundred yards in sheer descent, and with its deep ditch and rude wall on the ?fau..., must have formed one of the most inacessible in the kingdom." The Cruise of the ?Bekey p 41., Hugh Miller 1844(?)'
This site was included in the Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland online database. See link below for site entry. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Feachem, R W. 1963. A Guide to Prehistoric Scotland. 1st. 124.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 220, No.689.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Lock, G. & Ralston, I.. 2017. Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland. SC2527.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 4612 8474 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||SMALL ISLES|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://hillforts.arch.ox.ac.uk/records/SC2527.html (Link to online Atlas of Hilforts of Britain and Ireland site entry)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2373 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22190 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.