MHG39786 - Manse, Ormlie Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MANSE (Undated)
- None recorded
Castlegreen Manse (NAT) on site of (NAT) Castle (NR) OS 6" map, (1971)
The Castle of Thurso, also called Castle of Ormly, built on rising ground termed the Brown Hill, was occupied by Earls of Orkney. The foundations were dug up a few years ago and its well, about 20ft deep, strongly built and circuar from the bottom, was cleared out. Since then it has been filled in and obliterated. The manse was built on site of castle in 1818, some of the remaining stones being used to build it. The castle was destroyed by fire in the early 16th century.
Name Book 1872.
Torfaeus, writing of Castle Ormlie in 17th century, speaks of it as Castrum de Thorsa, the seat of the Scandinavian Earls.
T Torfaeus 1866; W Campbell 1902.
There is no trace of a castle at Manse. No further info obtained. Visited by OS (E G C) 18 April 1962.
No change Visited by OS (J M) 30 September 1981.
1st ed OS desc as Castle Green Manse on site of Ormelie Castle - HAW 10/2002
- --- SHG2024 Text/Publication/Volume: Campbell, W. 1902. Thors town and John o' Groats. 9.
- --- SHG2889 Text/Publication/Volume: Torfaeus, T. 1866. Ancient history of Orkney, Caithness, etc..
- --- SHG3341 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 11, 113-14.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1125 6805 (84m by 74m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8429 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.