MHG39894 - Short Cist with Burial, Lochend
Approximate location of the discovery of a short cist containing a burial and gravegoods.
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL (Early Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 1501 BC) + Sci.Date
- None recorded
The approximate site of this discovery was pointed out by the local roadman, Mr. J. MacLean, Lurgmore, Lochend, who stated that at the spot was a gravelly knoll. An occupation road into some houses now occupies the site of the knoll.
Visited by OS (J L D) 22 March 1962
A short cist containing a crouched burial with a beaker and a flint nodule has been found fifteen inches below ground level on a bank about 130 feet above the north shore of Loch Ness and about 30 yards from the main Inverness-Fort William road, on the Dochfour Estate at Lochend, on 6th September 1941. The contents of the cist have been presented to Inverness Museum.
V G Childe 1944
A radiocarbon date for the human skeletal material from the cist was obtained and published in 2006 and part of the Beaker People Project: Scottish Samples. This indicated an Early Bronze Age date of 1930-1770 BC, calibrated to 1 sigma. <1>
A document of correspondance from the Inverness Museum archive files, dated 1984, records that the museum was in possession of the beaker (Acc. No. 1941.021) and the skull (1978.038) from the burial. <2> <3>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Childe, V G et al. 1944. 'Newly discovered short cist burials with beakers', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 78 1943-4, p.106-19. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 106-19. 106-9; plate 9.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Hanley, R and Sheridan, A. 1994. 'A beaker cist from Balblair, near Beauly, Inverness District', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 124, pp 129-39. p 137.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Sheridan. A, et al. 2006. Radiocarbon Dating Results from the Beaker People Project: Scottish Samples. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 2006. 198- 201. Paper (Copy). 199.
- <2> Collection: Inverness Museum. 2019. Inverness Museum and Art Gallery Archive Files.
- <3> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 1941.021, 1978.038.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5964 3784 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12578 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.