MHG40738 - St. Mary's Chapel, Delny

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CEMETERY (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Centred 734 723.

There was a chapel of St Mary at Delny.
H Scott et al (eds.) 1915-61.

According to the Rev John Matheson who wrote the excerpt of the Statistical Account for this area (1790) there was a principal seat at Delny, at one time, owned by the Earls of Ross, but no ruins were remaining then. In 1789, there was also a ruined pre-reformation chapel and graveyard, which were ploughed up by a local farmer – to add land to his cornfield and build houses for his farm-workers. The farmer was persuaded by the minister to collect the exposed bones of the graveyard corpses, rebury them, grass over the area and leave it sacrosanct. A stone was erected to mark the reburial but it is not clear if this is still present - no local knowledge. <1>

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 7340 7230 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH77SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish KILMUIR EASTER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.