MHG40902 - Cist w finds, Culduthel Mains
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL (Early Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 1501 BC) + Sci.Date
- None recorded
NH64SE 30 6639 4189.
On 9th August 1928, a Bronze Age short cist was discovered in a sandpit in a gravel knoll near the farmsteading of Culduthel, about three miles south of Inverness and one mile east of the River Ness. The cist contained a crouched female skeleton, now in the Anatomical Museum of the University of Aberdeen, a necklace or girdle of jet, including a V-perforated toggle (since made up into a necklace), a small flake of obsidian a fragment of a bronze awl, and pieces of charcoal. The necklace and awl are in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland.
A Low 1929.
NH 6639 4189. The farmer at Mains of Culduthel pointed out the site of this find, the discovery of which he himself witnessed. The sand pit is now being filled in.
Visited by OS (J L D) 22 March 1962.
A radiocarbon date for the human skeletal material from the cist was obtained and published in 2006 and part of the Beaker People Project: Scottish Samples. This indicated an Early Bronze Age date of 2140-2030 BC, calibrated to 1 sigma. <1>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 13, No. 66.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Bruce, M F. 1986. Short cist human skeletal material housed in the Anthropolgical Museum and the Department of Anatomy, University of Aberdeen. SHG23463. 36-8. 37.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Low, A. 1929. 'A short cist at Culduthel, Inverness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 63 (1928-29), pp 217-24.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Sheridan. A, et al. 2006. Radiocarbon Dating Results from the Beaker People Project: Scottish Samples. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 2006. 198- 201. Paper (Copy). 200.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6638 4188 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13513 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.