MHG41430 - Handa Island

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CEMETERY (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

(NC 1455 4750) Grave Yard (NR)
OS 6"map, (1963)

On Handa is a graveyard, to which the dead were carried so that the bodies might be safe from wolves.
D MacDonald, A Polson and J Brown 1931. <1>

The scant remains of an earth and stone bank forms the perimeter of this graveyard. Within are numerous uninscribed stones marking positions of graves. There is one recumbent slab with name 'Peter Morrison' inscribed on it, and near SE angle is an upright dressed stone 0.5m square and 1.0m high. In centre of graveyard is a rectangular depression, 6m by 3m, which could be the site of a building (? Chapel).
Visited by OS (W D J) 12 July 1960.

As described. The depression noted measures about 9.0m E-W by 4.0m and is free of grave-markers. Amost certainly remains of a structure and that would most expectantly be a chapel. Surveyed at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (J M) 4 June 1980.

This is a small, sub-rectangular area defined by low banks which are difficult to follow over entire length. A single, flat grave slab is all that remains to indicate that this is a graveyard - there is nothing at present to prevent visitors from using this area, particularly the graveslab, for picnics, etc. The Scottish Wildlife Trust are concerned that this area should be fenced off. <2>

Sources/Archives (5)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NC 1455 4750 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NC14NW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish EDDRACHILLIS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.