MHG415 - Basalt Axe Hammer or Battle Axe - Wick Harbour
Axe Hammer, Wick Harbour
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A basalt axe-hammer, dredged up in Wick Harbour from bed of estuary of Wick River, near back of North Quay, was donated to NMAS in 1928 by Dr J C Simpson (Acc No: AH 175). It has deep semicircular indentations on the top and bottom edges, measuring 4 3/8ins long, 2 13/16ins deep and 2 1/16ins thick; the perforation is bi-conical and measures 9/16ins diameter at centre. Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1928.
No further info. Visited by OS (W D J) 20 April 1962.
Stone axe-hammer of basalt, 4 3/8 inches in length, 2.75 inch in greatest breadth and 2 inches in greatest thickness opposite the shaft-hole in centre. The form is not a common one in Scotland. It was found in bed of estuary of river of Wick, near back of North Quay, a good many years ago.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1895.
Reclassified as battle-axe. F E S Roe 1966.
This battle-axe is of Northern Variant form with extreme expansion of blade. It has been petrologically identified as amphibolite.
T H McK Clough and W A Cummins 1988.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Roe, F E S. 1966. 'The battle-axe series in Britain', Proc Prehist Soc Vol. 32 1966, p.199-245. Proc Prehist Soc. 199-245. 241, No. 380.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AH 175.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Clough and Cummins, T H McK and W A. 1988. Lists of identifications. 141-264. 234, no. CAT 1.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1928. 'Donations to and purchases for the Library and Museum', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 62 1927-8, p.8-22, 81-5, 133-38, 164-6, 225-82, 255-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 8-22, 81-5, 133-38, 164-6. 81-2; illust.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1895. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 29 1894-5, p.5-10, 63-7, 104-7, 206-10, 241-3, 272-7. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 5-10, 63-7, 104-7, 206-10. 65-6.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3679 5080 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- AXE HAMMER? (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9142 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.