MHG42018 - Finlarig
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
Site visited and photographed by John Halliday, 30/09/03. Highland Archaeology Challenge.
See assoc. docs. File.
J Aikten : 21/01/04.
Access Audt 36 - HAW 11/2003
NH92NE 3 9911 2538.
A ruined chapel exists at Finlarig, near the old Castle of Muckrach. It is in a circular enclosure, formed by a ditch and a wall, about 85' in diameter. A fragment of a Pictish symbol stone was turned up towards the W side of this enclosure, where an ancient font was also found. The symbol stone, now in the N M A S (Acc No: IB 11) is a rectangular slab of mica schist, 3'6" x 1'5" x 2'6", incised with symbols on one face
J Stuart 1867; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.
The ruined chapel, reduced to turf-covered footings about 0.3m high, is rectangular on plan, measuring c. 10.5m E-W by 5.5m, and is situated within a small near-circular enclosure as described above, presumably the grave-yard. The exact find-spot of the symbol stone could not be ascertained.
Surveyed at 1:2500 scale.
Visited by OS (R L) 16 September 1966.
NH 9911 2538. Site is an uncultivated plot within a field known as Chapel Park. It cannot be ascertained whether the chapel had rounded corners as alleged by MacDonald (MacDonald and Laing 1969). The dedication is not known. The "enclosure", largely mutilated by ploughing, has much stone clearance over it. One upright stone is visible within the enclosure, probably a grave slab. The possible entrance noted on the S side of the enclosure (MacDonald and Laing 1969) may be recent mutilation.
Remains of chapel and enclosure.
Revised at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (N K B) 21 September 1970; A MacDonald and L Laing 1969.
The fragment measuring 1.15m x 0.43m x 0.09m, is obviously part of a larger symbol stone. The face is incised with the remains of a crescent and V-rod symbol. Above this is the bottom of a Z-rod symbol possibly intersecting a rectangle. In the RMS (NMAS) Acc.no. IB 11.
Information from R Jones 1980.
Class I symbol stone bearing a divided rectangle and Z-rod above a crescent and V-rod.
A.Mack 1997 p.32
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Allen and Anderson, J R and J. 1903. The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation. pt. 3, 101; fig. 104.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Jackson, A. 1984. The symbol stones of Scotland: a social anthropological resolution to the problem of the Picts.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mack, A. 1997. Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones. 32.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Ritchie, J N G. 1985. Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985. 11.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Stuart, J. 1867. Sculptured Stones of Scotland. 2. 61; pl. cvi.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1868. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library plus exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 6 1864-6, p.7-14,41-8,86-91,109-14,178-83,203-10,233-39. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 7-14,41-8,86-91,109-14,17. 179.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Macdonald and Laing, A D S and L R. 1969. 'Early ecclesiastical sites in Scotland: a field survey part 1', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 100 1967-8, p.123-34. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 123-34. 132-3; plan fig. 12.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9910 2538 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROMDALE, INVERALLAN AND ADVIE|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2707 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15420 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.