MHG42439 - Possible Shieling Hut, Chapel & hermitage, The Thirl
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SHIELING HUT (Undated)
- None recorded
(ND 1872 7291) Chapel (NR) OS 6" map, (1959)
The remains of a small, drystone chapel said to have been a hermitage or place of penance. There are other ruins in vicinity, but it is not known if there is any association with the chapel.
Name Book 1873.
The site does not have same general appearance as other ecclesiastical sites in county, but local people call it 'the Chapel'.
D Beaton 1909.
The footings of a small rectangular chapel on level ground at foot of a S-facing slope. It measures 4.7m E-W by 2.1m transversely within a dry-built wall of dressed blocks varying between 1.1 and 1.4m in thickness. The interior is largely filled with turf-covered debris, but inner face in NE corner is visible to height of 1m. A gap 0.9m wide at W end of S wall is probably doorway. Immed outside SE corner is boulder bearing initials J S and D M and date 1838.
Some 130m E of chapel, on a slight knoll, are footings of two shieling-like structures, one of which is 2.5m square, and a stretch of contemporary walling. About 50m towards chapel from them is another wall running up slope and ending near top on a natural cavity in rock which looks as though it could be a silted-up well. There is no suggestion here of monastic associations. Visited by OS (I S S) 9 March 1972
The chapel and other features are as described in previous field report. There are indications of indefinite banking at E end of the chapel, possibly delimiting remains of a small structure.
Visited by OS (J B) 24 December 1981.
There is a possible entrance in NW corner of chapel.
Other adjacent structures are:
(a) ND 1879 7286. A rectangular, grass and heather-covered structure, 0.5m high and lying E-W, with some stone visible.
(b): ND 1879 7284. A rectangular, heather-covered structure, 4m E-W by 2m, with stones visible.
(c): ND 1883 7292. A poorly preserved stretch of heather-covered wall, 20m long E-W by 0.5m high.
(d): ND 1881 7291. A rectangular, heather-covered stone structure, 6m E-W by 3m by 0.5m high.
R J Mercer 1981.
1st ed OS "chapel (remains of). Small rectangular enclosure, anoth rectangular feature in NW corner. SW corner of larger not complete (large stones ? Delimit line - HAW 10/2002
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D. 1909. Ecclesiastical history of Caithness and annals of Caithness parishes. 46.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Glass, D. Photographs of various HER sites submitted by David Glass. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R J. 1981. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: volume II, 1980-81. University of Edinburgh. 30/12/1981. Paper and Digital. 164, Nos. 617-21; map.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 3, 29.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1872 7291 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8559 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.