MHG42450 - Broch, Auchingale
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL (Undated)
- None recorded
Broch (NR) (remains of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)
In 1841 a large mound opened by Mr William Larnach revealed the ruins of a broch, with human remains and a considerable refuse heap of shells, broken bones and deer horns.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1873
Most of the mound was removed by farmer (J Waters, Auchingale) before the discovery of a cist over 7ft long containing a skeleton and a small deerhorn comb put an end to the work. "The portion which is left standing contains more human remains".
Name Book 1871
This broch stood on small, almost circular plateau. On top, at SW side, are remains of a turf-covered mound 1.2m high on its N side, and sloping down to merge with top of the plateau slope on its S side. No intelligible remains of the broch could be discerned.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (W D J) 27 April 1963
All that remains of this broch is an amorphous mound, 14m NW-SE by 11m transversely and 1.2m high, which occupies the SW sector of a low rise about 45m NW-SE by 3om transversely, which presumably indicates extent of broch prior to its being dismantled. The situation on edge of a natural slope above flood plain of the Wick River is typical of a broch. The earthfast, contiguous blocks in the W slopes of the mound may be the remains of a wall face.
Visited by OS (N K B) 17 May 1982
'Broch', Achingale. Dimensions: 16 x 10m. A small, subcircular, conspicuous mound situated on a shelf beside a river escarpment.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
PSAS, 1873, 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum', (And exhibits)', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 9 1870-2, p.5-12,53-9,78-81,153-7,179-85,219-23,238-49,, 183 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG635.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 131, No. 473 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 131, No. 473.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1873. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum', (And exhibits)', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 9 1870-2, p.5-12,53-9,78-81,153-7,179-85,219-23,238-49,. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 5-12,53-9,78-81,153-7,179. 183.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2433 5352 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8783 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.