MHG42487 - Dunviden Settlement
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CORN DRYING KILN (Undated)
- None recorded
Dunviden. The remains of a depopulated settlement which since it was under sheep-farming in 1873 (ONB 1873), is presumably one of those abandoned during the clearance of Strathnaver between 1814 and 1819.
Name Book 1873; J Prebble 1963.
Dunviden, a deserted township comprises at least nine building footings, including four "longhouses" ranging in size from 22 by 4 to 40 by 4m; the rest vary from 6 by 3 to 18 by 4m. There are also enclosures and field banks and, at NC 7272 5176, the remains of a corn-drying kiln. Rig-and-furrow cultivation occurs on the adjacent haugh of the River Naver.
Revised at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (J M) 19 July 1977.
This township comprises fourteen unroofed buildings, four of which are long buildings, three enclosures and a large area of cultivation, as depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet xxvii). Seven unroofed buildings and four enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (12962).
Information fron RCAHMS (SAH) 21 August 1995
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7269 5180 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6309 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.