MHG4273 - Battle Site, Maol Ruadh
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- BATTLEFIELD (17th Century - 1688 AD to 1688 AD)
- BATTLE SITE (17th Century - 1688 AD to 1688 AD)
Maol Ruadh (Site of Battle between Clans) (NAT)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
The last feudal battle between two Highland factions was fought near Keppoch, at a place called Mulray (Maol Ruadh). The participants were Ronald of Keppoch, and his overlord M'Intosh of M'Intosh, the former taking the day (NSA 1845).
This conflict took place immediately prior to the Rebellion of 1688 (Gregory 1881).
NSA 1845; D Gregory 1975 (reprint of 1881).
This site has been added to the Inventory of Historic Battefields. See the link to Historic Scotland's website for full information. <1>
- --- SHG2294 Text/Publication/Volume: Gregory, D. 1975. History of the Western Highlands and Isles of Scotland: from AD 1493 to AD 1625 with a brief introductory sketch, from AD 80 to AD 1493. 415.
- --- SHG2597 Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, Inverness, 508-9.
- <1> SHG25679 Text/Designation Notification/Inventory of HBs: 2011. Inventory of Historic Battlefields: Mulroy.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 2708 8181 (3031m by 2776m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/BTL26 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/23789 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.