MHG42903 - DELETED - DUPLICATE RECORD SEE MHG11838
No summary available.
Type and Period (0)
- None recorded
Ref 1412 - Report by Farrel on recording (part) undertaken during renovations - HAW 03/2005
(NH 7972 8960) Bishop's Palace (NR) (Ruins) OS 25" map, (1900)
Remains of Palace of bishops of Caithness, now consist of high tower with angle bartizans and crow-stepped gable. A round stair turret fills angle between it and kitchens on E whose vaulted roof, huge fireplace and chimney stalk still remain though building was heavily modernised 1813.
Palace is said to have consisted of 3 towers, survivor being the SW. A wing projected from kitchens at right angles across what is now Castle St about where W gable of Court House now stands. N side of court-yard was enclosed by strong wall, with gateway which stood a little E of present position of fountain in square, and led into Cathedral grounds.
Parts of remaining walls of Palace appear to be of considerable age but large windows and angle bartizans are clearly of late date probably subsequent to burning of Cathedral and Palace 1570. The ruins were partially restored in 1813 for use as a County Court House and Jail. It is now generally known as "Dornoch Castle".
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; C D Bentinck 1926; W Calder 1948.
As described, in good condition and converted to a hotel, called "Dornoch Castle Hotel". According to proprietor part of fabric of kitchens and cellar is 13th century.
Visited by OS (A A) 31 March 1971.
BIBLIOGRAPHIC REFERENCE: NMRS LIBRARY
Dornoch Castle, by D F M reprint from "The Northern Times" Golspie 1923
Still used as hotel, negotiations for alterations by new owners (2001), work apparently not yet taken place - HAW 11/2002
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Bentinck, C D. 1926. Dornoch: cathedral and parish. 342-3; illust.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Calder, W. 1949. The estate and castle of Skibo. 62.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacGibbon, D and Ross, T. 1887-92. The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries. Hardback. Vol. 2, 336-7.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 37, No. 104.
No mapped location recorded.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.