MHG43033 - Tomatin, Freeburn Hotel
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOTEL (Undated)
- None recorded
According to an old advertisement (probably published c. 1900) in private possession, the hotel was built in 1745 and was reputedly was one of stopping places of Bonny Prince Charlie on his way to Culloden. It was re-built and refurbished in 1895, and at the time of the advertisement was run by A. Robertson, and patronised by 'the Nobility and Aristocracy'. It advertised a fine posting establishment with carriage and saddle horses, landaus, wagonnettes, four and two-wheeled dogcarts, gigs, sleighs and luggage vans etc.The hotel was also the headquarters of the CTC, with many cyclists said to use its facilities before an easy run to the capital of the Highlands. The advert shows tennis courts and an extensive wine cellar.
Research by Ann Glynne-Percy, published in Strathdearn News in August 2006, notes that it was also known as a trysting place for cattle drovers. <1>
<1> Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH), 2011, Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Strathdearn, Site 12 (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25599.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7954 3004 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||MOY AND DALAROSSIE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/100469 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.