MHG43167 - An Car
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
- None recorded
(Centred NC 2395 0815) Six roofed buildings, named 'An Car' (NAT) in 1878 (OS 6"map, 1878) had completely disappeared by 1906 (OS 6"map, 1906). The area is shown as arable in 1774-5 J Home 1774-5)
J Home 1774-5; OS 6"map, Sutherland, 1st ed., (1878) and 2nd ed., (1906)
Of the building shown in 1878 there would seem to be remains of only one, a rectangular structure of dry stone walling 0.3 m high. Apart from this there are the remains of five possible shielings, two of which are rectangular and three which are circular and so small that they may have been lambing pens only.
Visited by OS (R D L) 4 June 1962.
An Car: Remains of a farmstead abandoned in the 19th century. There are stone footings of two certain buildings, 7.0m by 3.5m and 6.0m by 3.0m. Nearby are the remains of a corn-drying kiln and the residue of two minor circular structures of indeterminate purpose. To the ESE on a limestone ridge are two ruinous, oval structures, 4.0m by 3.0m and 4.0m by 3.5m, in which the stone coursing has been augmented by outcrop; whether they are shieling-type bothies or penning enclosures is not clear.
Revised at 1:10,000 map.
Visited by OS (J M) 9 July 1980.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2394 0815 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4612 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.