MHG43373 - Grain Mill, Culag


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • GRAIN MILL (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NC02SE 2 0946 2202.

(Area centred NC 0920 2200) Eight buildings shown and named 'Mill Town' in 1774-5; 'Mill' shown (J Home 1774-5).
Corn Mill (NAT) in 1878 (OS 6"map, Sutherland, 1st ed., {1878}). Saw Mill (NAT) in 1907 (OS 6"map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., {1907}) (At NC 0946 2202) Depopulated by 1878 (OS 6"map, {1878})
J Home 1774-5; OS 6"map, Sutherland, 1st ed., (1878) and 2nd ed., (1907)

The saw mill (NC02SE 21) is still worked but now electrically operated, the wheel having been removed. No evidence of 'Mill Town' (the name is not known locally) was seen; the area lies within the grounds of 'Culag' Hotel and has been generally parked and planted.
Visited by OS (F R H) 12 May 1962.

No change except that the mill (NC02SE 21) is no longer in operation. The former mill wheel was of the vertical type.
Visited by OS (J B) 11 August 1980.

Sources/Archives (2)



Grid reference Centred NC 0945 2204 (40m by 31m)
Map sheet NC02SE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish ASSYNT

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.