MHG4362 - Castle of Petty (Dalligill, Dalziel or Halhill)
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CASTLE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NH75SE 1 7534 5027.
(NH 7534 5026) Castle (NR) (Site of)
OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)
"...When standing it was occupied by the Ogilvies and was destroyed by the clan McIntosh about 130 (sic) years ago. There is no vestige of it now above ground,..... its name cannot be ascertained".
Name Book 1870.
"On it (this site) once stood the fortified house or castle of Halhill", and ibid "The house of Petty, called Halhill".
(George and Peter Anderson, Solicitors of Inverness, give no evidence for their re-naming of this site, they quote the same passages for the same charters as other authorities some of whom are cited here).
G Anderson and P Anderson 1863.
The Moy Hall MS mention the "Castle of Petty" in in 1551 AD, but this date and earlier dates must refer either to an older castle on the same site as Castle Stuart or to the "House of Hall Hill".
T Wallace 1921.
" ... Halhill Castle which is by some supposed to have stood on the site of the present Castle Stuart (see NH74NW 21) but by others is placed, with more probability, on the rising ground near the centre of the parish, at the school,……".
F R Groome 1901.
The site of this Castle occupies the summit of a large and prominent hillock. It has been ploughed over and no vestige of any structure exists. No naming evidence was found.
Visited by OS (J L D) 24 April 1962.
Pont's map of Scotland of ca. 1583-1614 shows a castle here named 'Dalligill', which would equate to the modern placenames of Easter and Wester Dalziel. There is no castle shown where Castle Stuart now stands, which was built in ca. 1625 and since Pont's map pre-dates that Daligill, or Dalziel (presumably subsequently corrupted into 'Halhill') was demolished soon after Pont's map was created. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Wallace, T. 1921. 'Notes on the parish of Petty', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 8 1912-18, p.155-74. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 155-74. 167-9.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Anderson and Anderson, G and P. 1863. Guide to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. 4th ed.. 501.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Groome, F H (ed.). 1901. Ordnance gazetteer of Scotland. new. 1330-1.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 27, No. 204.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 55, 45.
- <1> Image/Map: Pont, T.. 1583-1614. Pont Maps of Scotland. Pont 8 (Moray and Nairn).
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7533 5026 (300m by 300m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14406 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.