MHG44242 - Quay - Tanera Mor
A late 18th-century quay associated with the nearby fishing station.
Type and Period (1)
- PIER (Built, 18th Century - 1785 AD to 1785 AD)
A late C18 quay or pier associated with the nearby former fishing station (see MHG9120) on Tanera Mor.
A view of the pier and its immediate surroundings was engraved by William Daniell in the early C19. <1> (see links)
The buildings and quay were listed at category B in 1989. Substantial 2 storey range fronted by high walled courtyard entered entered through segmental-headed archway. Rubble with tooled ashar rubble dressings. 12 bays in courtyard elevation. The 3 seaward bays a former dwelling house (manager's house). Roofless. QUAY: 1785, repaired 1939-40. Rubble pier with wall at seaward face; slightly curved to partially enclose shallow basin. <2>
The buildings and quay were visited and described by the North of Scotland Archaeological Society during a survey of the island in 2007: The quay was constructed in 1785 and was repaired 1939-40 when Dr Frank Fraser-Darling bough the land around the station and re-established the farmland. The quay comprises a rubble pier with a wall at the seaward face, slightly curved to partically enclose a shallow basin. <3>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Ayton, R and Daniell, W. 1978. A voyage round Great Britain undertaken between the years 1813 and 1823 and commencing from Land's End, Cornwall: with a series of views illustrative of the character and prominent features of the coast.
- <2> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB 7766.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2017. Report (incomplete) of an Archaeological Survey of the Island of Tanera Mor by members of NOSAS - Saturday, 20th October 2007. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NB 9904 0738 (65m by 16m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7766 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4444 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
- https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/daniell-pier-at-tanera-loch-broom-t02847 (View online engraving of the pier at Tanera by William Daniell)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.