MHG44357 - Allangrange


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • FIELD BOUNDARY (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Earthwork (NR) OS 6" map, (1959)

The purpose of this enclosure - "Fort Allanriach" according to Beaton (1882) - is unknown, but fortification would appear to be ruled out by its situation on flat land, and by slightness of walls which were apparently only 3' thick, of earth and stone, and 58' in internal diameter. The inside face was practically vertical but the outside of wall sloped outwards for 5' giving an overall dimension of 8'. No entrance is visible, but one may have existed in S arc, which had disappeared by 1882.
The enclosure had now vitually disappeared, only remains being sections of wall on E and W, cut by a farm track and ditch which bisect enclosure. The segment N of track has been destroyed by forestry operations. S segment has been ploughed out, but when Woodham visited site, it was visible as a dark green patch in a grass field.
A J Beaton 1882; A AWoodham 1956.

The remains of enclosure, only S arc of which has disappeared, now consist of a heather and turf-covered bank up to 1m high and 3m wide, enclosing an area of 15m in diameter internally. No entrance is visible in remaining portion. The purpose of enclosure is unknown, but it could possibly be an enclosed cremation cemetery. (See also NH65SW 1). The name "Fort Allanriach", attributed by Beaton, is not known locally. The S segment, noted by Woodham (1956) as a "dark Green patch", could not be seen due to the enlargement of the farm track at this point.
Resurveyed at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (R B) 10 March 1966.

This alleged enclosed cremation cemetery has been ploughed through and afforested but survives as an earth and stone bank spread to c3m and measuring c18.5m in diameter between its centres. The interior is slightly elevated above surrounding ground level. No entrance is visible. S arc is destroyed.
Some 20m to E is a similar structure measuring c. 15.5m in between centres of a bank spread to c3m. A ruinous turf-covered wall joins the N arc. They are both probably hut circles with the wall being a contemporary field wall. Visited by OS (A A) 11 November 1971.

Sources/Archives (4)



Grid reference Centred NH 6104 5150 (30m by 30m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH65SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish KNOCKBAIN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.