MHG4505 - Crubenmore New Bridge

Summary

1920s two-arched, reinforced concrete bridge on the old A9.

Type and Period (1)

  • BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

"Sir Owen Williams (engineer) with Maxwell Ayrton (architect), 1925-26. Two arched, reinforced concrete Modern Movement bridge with distinctive faceted concrete sides and 6-sided shuttered arches. Splayed piers forming cutwater to centre and retaining walls at banks. Small parapets to road."
This is one of eight bridges along the A9 designed and built by these architects between 1924 and 1928. The bridges combine imaginative aesthetics with innovative sturctural design in reinforced concrete, and are thought to have been designed as alien forms within the landscape. They were cast in-situ, which adds to their historic significance. The faceted sides of this bridge may have been influenced by the Cubist movement, although the design also served a practical purpose. The bridge is in a poor state of repair. <1>

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NN 67634 91454 (37m by 44m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NN69SE
Civil Parish KINGUSSIE AND INSH
Civil Parish LAGGAN
Geographical Area BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.