MHG45051 - Easter Raitts (general)


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CORN DRYING KILN (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Access audit photos - hAW 11/12003

NH 777 023 The survey at Easter Raitts was commissioned by Highland Regional Council and was conducted by AOC (Scotland) Ltd. The aim of the survey was to provide data which would enable a reconstruction of the township, at the Highland Folk Park, on a similar land form to the original. The survey area lies on the S-facing slopes on the N side of the river Spey some 2km NE of Kingussie. Two areas were targeted for the survey: to the W a square area c60m by 60m, and to the E a rectangular area c340m E to W and 120m wide.

The W area contained a corn-drying kiln, an enclosure, a platform and two rectangular buildings. In the larger area to the E, 36 features were recorded: amongst these were 10 rectangular buildings. Some of these are mapped on the first edition OS map, surveyed in 1869, as part of a settlement called Baldow. Two of the features recorded in the E area may predate the main parts of the Baldow settlement; a platform to the W and the cairn to the E of Baldow, may both be of prehistoric date.
A copy of the report is lodged with the Highland SMR.
Sponsor: Highland Regional Council.
M Dalland 1995.

Nh 7774 0228 Excavation was carried out during June 1995 in advance of the proposed reconstruction of the township of Easter Raitts for the development of the Highland Folk Park. The township is the easternmost of several similar settlements in the area known as Upper Raitts.
A total area of over 55sq m was excavated. This took the form of eight individual trenches positioned across the interior and exterior of two domestic structures and outbuildings, associated terraces, dykes and lanes. One trench examined one of a pair of possible kilns lying adjacent to each other cut into a terrace.
The structures appear to be well built with faced stone, squared corners and paved byres. floors of beaten earth were identified within the main chambers of two structures. The immediate exterior of one of the structures appears to have been cobbled, with entrances either cobbled or flagstone-laid in both cases. A small assemblage of finds consisting mainly of glass sherds and sherds of porcelain was recovered during the excavation.
Sponsor: Highland Folk Museum.
K Cameron 1995.

NH 7774 0228 A three-week season of excavation at the township of Easter Raitts, providing training as part of Aberdeen University?s Certificate in Field Archaeology, investigated two longhouses. One proved to have at least three levels of earth floor preserved around a central hearth and paved area at the W end of the house, with a stone-packed drain at the E end. An additional room at the E end of the building was cobbled and paved and contained a curving stone structure, possibly a kiln. Structural evidence consisted of two large post-holes, including one which had supported a central post by the hearth.
A second longhouse investigated had been reused to house animals. It had a central hearth and a paved entrance leading onto a cobbled apron which looked out over Strathspey. A cruck-slot, consisting of a substantial stone setting, was also found. The entrance had later been sealed and a rough manger constructed at the W end, against the wall of a later structure built over that end of the longhouse. Abutting this smaller, stone-built structure was a rectangular platform, possibly used to store hay, and a large cobbled yard to the W.
Outside both longhouses was evidence that the walls had been built of turf, piled above stone footings one or two courses high.
Sponsors: Highland Council, Vernacular Buildings Trust, Aberdeen University.
O Lelong 1997

NH70SE 6.02 centred on 777 023

A township comprising seven unroofed buildings and an enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1872, sheet lxxxvii). Ten unroofed buildings and an enclosure are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1994).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 16 July 1996

NH70SE 6.00 centred on 775 023

An extensive depopulated settlement at Upper Raitts of two distinct parts. The more westerly, centred at NH 7735 0227, contains the footings of 17 buildings, ranging in size from c. 15.0m by c. 5.0m to c. 7.0m by c. 3.0m, 2 enclosures, 1 corn drying kiln and several field walls.
The more easterly, centred at NH 7774 0228, is compact, containing the footings of 12 buildings, varying in size from c. 22.0m by c 5.0m to c 7.0m by c 3.0m, 2 enclosures and several field walls.
It is not known whether the name Upper Raitts applies to the area or to the depopulated settlement, nor is the reason or date of depopulation known.
Visited by OS (R L) 29 November 1966; Visible on RAF air photograph
F21 58/RAF/2500: 0090-1: flown 1958

Three areas of settlement named Upper Raitts, Baldow and Kerrowdow are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1872, sheet lxxxvii). Only two areas are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1994) and only the name Upper Raitts is marked.

6.01 773 023 Township
6.02 777 023 Township
6.03 778 021 Building

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 16 July 1996

See assoc. docs. File for set of oblique photos of excavation in progress.

J Aitken : 03/01/01.

Sources/Archives (85)



Grid reference Centred NH 7749 0229 (10m by 10m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH70SE
Civil Parish ALVIE

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.