MHG45328 - St. Ninians Chapel, Nonakiln

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CEMETERY (18th Century to 20th Century - 1701 AD to 2000 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

NH67SE 20 6621 7124.
St. Ninian's Chapel (NR) (Ruin) OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

About a mile N of Alness village is burying-ground of Nonikilm. In the burying ground are the ruins of the church believed to be St. Ninian's, which fell in 1714 (MacDonald, Polson and Brown 1931) Killinianan or Nonakiln (Bain 1899).
In churchyard was found part of a slab incised with what could be spectacle ornament. The slab has now disappeared, but there is a cast of it in NMAS which was presented by James Flaws, Castlehill, Wyre, through J M Corrie, FSA Scot (PSAS 1931).
R Maclean 1886; R Bain 1899; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1930; D MacDonald, A Polson and J Brown 1931. <1>-<4>

All that remains of this chapel is W gable 8.2m long standing to roof height and containing a small rectangular door with a small arched window above. A modern stone-walled yard has been built on to E face of the gable.
Visited by OS (W D J) 11 May 1963.

The W gable still survives of this chapel. There are several graveslabs of probable 17th-century date in the burial-ground. The decorated slab (cast in RMS (NMAS): IB 216) is possibly of Early Christian date.
RCAHMS 1979, visited September 1978.

Visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. Historic graveyard with two stone burial enclosures probably incorporating parts of the earlier medieval chapel. The site shows a distinct change in level to the surrounding landform and has many burial including those marked by flat slabs underfoot. The burial ground is enclosed on four sides and is roughly rectilinear, although with a curved boundary on the west side. The original church sat on the higher part of the ground with east-west orientation. The burial ground is not thought to be in current use, no recent burials. <5><6>


Noble, J, 1909, Religious Life in Ross, 179 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2592.


RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 27, No. 232 (Text/Report). SHG2670.


<1> Maclean, R, 1886, 'The Parish of Rosskeen', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 12 1885-6, p.324-39, 338 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1704.


<2> Bain, R, 1899, History of the ancient province of Ross, 57 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1941.


<3> PSAS, 1931, 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 65 1930-1, p.8-20, 256-61, 382-4, 408-13, 11 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG570.


<4> MacDonald, Polson and Brown, D, A and J, {1931}, The book of Ross, Sutherland and Caithness, Orkney and Shetland: descriptive, historical and antiquarian notes, 51-2 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2437.


<5> Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A, 03/2010, Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25133.


<6> Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust, 2009, Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25134.

Sources/Archives (8)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6623 7124 (60m by 59m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH67SE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish ROSSKEEN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (3)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.