MHG45429 - Possible Dun, Coroghan Mor, Canna
A natural promontory which was certainly used for defensive purposes in the late medieval period and probably earlier.
Type and Period (2)
- DUN? (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- FORT? (Early Iron Age to Medieval - 550 BC? to 1559 AD?)
NG20NE 4 2796 0552.
(NG 2796 0552) A 'castle' built on a stack (Coroghon Mor) rising 70-80ft sheer above the sea on three sides and linked to the land by a narrow neck, where ascent of the stack is possible by a track which leads upwards to a roughly rectangular forework of at least two storeys.
The crag was mentioned as a 'refuge' in 1577-95, but no building was referred to, so it may be assumed that the building is post-16th century (W G Collingwood 1906). Appears to be a gatehouse added to a dun (OS 6"map, annotated A L F Rivet 20 June 1961).
D Monro 1884; W Collingwood 1906; RCAHMS 1928. <1>-<3>
A small stronghold rather than a castle, built against the N-facing crag of Coroghon Mor. The building is an entity in itself and there is no trace of a dun as suggested by Rivet, nor of any other work.
With walls generally 0.7m thick, the building is constructed of random masonry and utilises the rock face as part of its S and E walls. The high curving N wall is pierced near its E end by a doorway 0.6m wide at the head of a steep path up the crag.
The main room occupies the W half of the castle and measures internally 3.0m N-S by 2.0m with a doorway 0.6m wide towards the S end of its E wall. Under it is a cellar of similar dimensions.
The 'basin' shown on Collingwood's plan is an apparently rock-cut hollow 3.5m x 2.0m by 0.3m deep, of uncertain purpose. The 'pit' is a natural hollow.
Campbell (Mr J L Campbell, Canna House) states that undecorated hand-made pottery sherds in his possession were found at the foot of the crag below the castle.
Visited by OS (A A) 1 June 1972.
On the top of a rock stack, reached by a very steep path. Rubbly remains of a roughly rectangular small tower, probably of the 17th century.
J Gifford 1992. <4>
It is probable that the site was used historically as a fort, well before the construction of the stronghold, despite there being no trace of an earlier structure. <5>
- --- SHG2442 Text/Publication/Volume: MacGibbon, D and Ross, T. 1887-92. The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries. Hardback. vol. 5, 242.
- <1> SHG2530 Text/Publication/Volume: Monro, D. 1884. Description of the Western Isles of Scotland, 1549.
- <2> SHG3544 Text/Publication/Article: Collingwood, W G. 1906. The Antiquary Vol. 42 1906, p.372. The Antiquary. 372. 376.
- <3> SHG2656 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 218, no. 680.
- <4> SHG2247 Text/Publication/Monograph: Gifford, J. 1992. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. Paper (Original). 232.
- <5> SHG24465 Text/Report: Wright, A P K. 07/2009. Coroghon Castle, Isle of Canna: Conservation Plan. Unaffiliated. . Paper and Digital. 28.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 27960 05520 (80m by 80m) (Centred)|
|Civil Parish||SMALL ISLES|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM6290 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/10709 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.