MHG45457 - Cist & Burial, Cnoc Ducharie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL (Undated)
NH67SW 13 6235 7167.
Cairn (NR) (Remains of) Stone Cist containing Human Remains found (NAT) OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
In a wood at Cnoc Ducharie is a cist in which human remains were found (ONB 1874), 3' 6" long, 2' deep and from 2'3" to 3' wide, from near the centre of a cairn 54' in diameter.
ONB 1874; ISSFC 1888.
The remains of cairn have been considerably mutilated by timber-felling operations. It consists of a low mound of stones now mostly grass-covered and measures c16m diameter with a max. height of
c.1.2 m. Around the base of cairn is an almost complete kerb of large boulders (0.5m high) In the centre, and much grown over, is a rectangular cavity 2.4m long by 2m wide by 0.6m deep. It was not possible to discern whether this was a cist or an excavation, but nearby is a flattish slab stone which could have come from a cist.
Revised at 1/2500. Visited by OS (W D J) 1 May 1963.
This cairn is now inaccessible in dense woodland.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 2, 53 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3350.
ISSFC, 1888, 'Excursion to Alness and Strathrory', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 2 1880-3, p.317-23, 321 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG754.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 11, No. 43 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 11, No. 43.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 2, 53.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: ISSFC. 1888. 'Excursion to Alness and Strathrory', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 2 1880-3, p.317-23. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 317-23. 321.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6234 7167 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:5223 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5223 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13776 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.