MHG45492 - Broch & cup marks, Achaness House


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CUP MARKED STONE (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Photos of cupmarks in SMR provided by Mrs L Byron. She reports that the area to SE of the main broch structure is raised above the plain and has stone work on it - are these outworks etc ? NB both the brochs are marked as "Pictish Tower (ruins)" on 1st ed OS - HAW 12/2003

Cup-marked stone reported by Alastair Macrae of Rosehall, Sutherland on 1 December 2003. He reports that the stone is on the south side of the top of the broch mound, about 3-4 feet wide and the same high. The cup markings have ben revealed by poaching from cattle and sheep and there are about 5 or 6 of them, perfectly hemispherical and 2-3" diameter. They are at the base of the flat side of the stone, facing north.
John Wood 1-12-2003

NMRS Notes:
NC40SE 3 4701 0253.
Broch (NR) (remains of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1971)

The remains of a broch now consisting of a grass-covered mound 2m max height. Several large stones protrude, particularly on E & S sides and the slopes are strewn with rubble. No wall-face is visible, but there are indications of walling on SE side. The diameter of top of mound is 14m and entrance may have been on NW.
Surveyed at 1:2500. RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.

No change to previous field report of 26 May 1963.
Visited by OS (J B) 9 September 1976.

Sources/Archives (5)



Grid reference Centred NC 4700 0252 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NC40SE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish CREICH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.