MHG4564 - Farmstead - Achnahoid (Stronetoper)
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NN 851 964
Visited Saturday 16th June 2001. Weather - cold and overcast, threatening rain. The settlement is situated on the valley floor on the east bank of the River Feshie at the south end of an extensive linear area of improved ground on which evidence of rig and furrow cultivation is seen (particularly on the Ariel photographs). 7 structures, 1 enclosure and several obvious man-made depressions are to be seen. Three buildings and an enclosure are depicted on the current 1:25,000 OS map and a single roofless building is depicted on the 1st edition map of 1872. The settlement appears on Roys military survey of 1750, but not on the Thomson map of 1830 or on the 1st edition OS survey of 1872. Oblique aerial photographs of the settlement were taken in 1995
At the north limit of the settlement this rectangular structure has an internal measurement of 15 x 3m and lies on a east/west axis. Footings of the walls are heather covered and rise to a height of 0.4m, there is no evidence of a west wall. No evidence of an entrance and no internal walls. An associated wall stretches away, at an angle, to the west, towards a man-made depression
Corn drying kiln K
This corn drying kiln and barn, lying on an east/west axis, is generally heather covered. The barn at the west end of the structure is at a level of 1m below that of the kiln in the east and has an internal measurement of 9 x 3m. The walls of the barn rise to 0.2m and there is a probable entrance in the north wall. The kiln is 2m in diameter and 1m deep.
Lies on a NNW/SSE axis and has an internal measurement of 10m by 3m, tapering to 2m at the north end, where there appears to be some alterations to the structure in the northeast corner (possibly narrowed from its original 3m width). Footings of the walls are heather covered and rise to a height of 0,5m with a thickness of 1m in places. Possible entrance in the north end of the east wall. Rounded corners.
Lies 2m to the SSE of the previous structure and on the same axis. This structure has heather clad turf and stone footings rising to a height of 0.3m with rounded corners. It has an overall internal length of 15m and 2 compartments The main one to the north measures 9 x 3m and there is a “porch” abutting the northeast corner, measuring 2 x 2m, where there appears to be an entrance. The smaller compartment to the south measures 5 x 2m, more stonework in the footings here. Possible entrance in the east wall.
Lies 3m to the SSE of the previous structure on the same axis. Internal measurement of 9 x 3m, the obvious footings are heavily heather covered and rise to 0.4m with width 0.5m to 1m. Possible entrance in the northern part of the west wall. Corners more squared than previous structures
Lies on a north/south axis and measures 16 x 25m. East and west walls are grass covered, intact and rise to 0.3m high. The north wall is broken in the middle by what appears to be a more recent rough track. Only a small length of the south wall exists at the east end.
To the north west of the enclosure is a man-made depression roughly rectangular in shape with a measurement of roughly 30 x 10m and 1m deep, but with a deeper (1.5m) oval area extending into the southern corner
This structure is barely discernable on the ground but appears quite well on the aerial photographs It lies 15 m to the SE of structure N and is again on a NNW/SSE axis. It can be seen as a slight depression measuring roughly 8 x 3m and there is some evidence of stone footings.
Between structures N and Q there is a manmade oval depression.
Lies 17m to the south of the SE corner of enclosure P. A rectangular building, internal measurement of 11 x 2.5m is mostly heather covered with some grass internally. The wall footings are variable in height but reach a height of 0.3m and there is much evidence of stonework particularly in the east wall. No evidence of internal partitions or entrances were noted.
Associated with this settlement are several clearance cairns 200m to the north, these are described in the entry for Achleum. At least two of these clearance cairns may be former shielings.
1. General view of north part of settlement from SE
2. Rig and furrow to north of settlement
3. General view of settlement from across river to NW with large depression in foreground
4. Structure J from west
5. Corn drying kiln K from SE
6. Corn drying kiln K from SW
7. Structure L from north
8. Structure M from NE, showing “porch”
9. Structure M from SSE
10. Structure N from SW
11. Structure Q from SE
12. Structure R from south
Recorded by M. Marshall - June 2001
See Thumbnail Photo - showing general view of N part of settlement from SE. M Marshall, 06/01.
NN89NE 1 851 964
The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1872, sheet cii) depicts a single roofless building on the E side of the River Feshie. Up to three roofless buildings and a large enclosure are depicted on the current OS 1:10,000 map.
Information from RCAHMS (P McK) 5 January 1995.
The settlement is comprised of 7 structures, 1 enclosure and several obvious man-made depressions, there is evidence of rig and furrow cultivation to the northeast. The settlement is situated on the valley floor on the east bank of the River Feshie. Three buildings and an enclosure are depicted on the current 1: 25,000 OS map and a single roofless building is depicted on the 1st edition map of 1872. The settlement appears on Roys military survey of 1750. Oblique aerial photos of the settlement were taken in 1995.
Information supplied by M Marshall, 06/01.
See assoc. docs. File & Hlink.
J Aitken : 05/03/02.
This site was visited during a walkover survey in March and April 2011. See the linked event (EHG3560) to download the survey report. <1><2>
- <1> SHG25387 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Fraser, L. and Peteranna, M.. 05/2011. Glenfeshie Estate Woodland Restoration Scheme: Desk-based Assessment and Walkover Survey. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services. Digital. Sites 17a to 17h.
- <2> SHG25388 Collection/Project Archive: Fraser, L and Peteranna, M. 05/2011. Glenfeshie Estate Woodland Restoration Scheme: Desk-based Assessment and Walkover Survey. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services. Digital. Sites 17a to 17h.
|Centred NN 8511 9638 (122m by 123m) (11 map features)
|KINGUSSIE AND INSH
|BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/81417 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.