MHG45680 - Bellman Aircraft Hangars - Fleet Air Arm Technical Area, Evanton Airfield, Alness


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)


Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Centred 6261 6708

Little of the original buildings remain in the Fleet Air Arm Camp, (Admiralty) Administrative Control area. Many of the buildings and hangars have been replaced by more modern industrial units, though the concrete bases are still in some cases extant, a new road has been cut through the area to connect with the industrial estate to the N of the A9 trunk road via an underbridge.
This area incorporated a diverse range of technical and administrative buildings, notably four possible Bellman hangars, five Blister hangars, classrooms, officers quarters, motor transport offices, rest rooms and several machine gun posts.
Visited by RCAHMS (DE) January and May 1997

These Bellman Hangars were noted by ARCH's Evanton Wartime Remains project in 2013. Three Bellman hangars were located in the area, with a possible fourth as a Receipt and Dispatch Hangar. None have the grid reference suggested by RCAHMS.
The Receipt and Dispatch Hangar, located at NH 62578 67043, was erected as part of the expansion just before the war, situated on the site of the first airfield buildings, near the mill stream and current course of the Big Burn. It appeared in some pictures from the late 1930s. It survived through the war, used by the RAF, but was taken down after WW2. Only the base was left by the 1960s. Aerial photographs show that it had been demolished by 1965. Some foundations were probed just below the grass. On the RAF Plan from 1946 the building was labelled No. 202 “Aircraft Shed”. On the 1943/4 Admiralty plan, it was listed as “Receipt and Dispatch Hangar”, with the notes “Use existing storage section hangar and stores” (National Archives ADM 1-13568). It appeared on the 1946 aerial photograph with camouflage paint on its roof. Contributors:Eddie Szymborski, Alan Kinghorn.
The RDF fitting hangar at NH 62602 67153 was dismantled after the war and moved to B camp, though not erected there, and then moved to Dingwall to Munro’s sawmill. Aerial photos from 1965 show that it had gone by that time from its original position. Parts of the hangar were used to construct two buildings at Munros Sawmill in Dingwall. The large shed on the site of the wartime hangar was built by Cromarty Firth Engineering and is currently (2013) used by Isleburn. Contributors: Alpin MacDonald, Peter Munro, Philip Blake
The third hangar at NH 62514 67162, to the southwest of Blythswood retail, had camouflage painting on the roof according to the 1946 aerial photo. <1>

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred NH 6257 6714 (186m by 263m) (3 map features)
Map sheet NH66NW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish ALNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.