MHG472 - Fort, Dun Fhionnairidh
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FORT (Early Bronze Age to Pictish - 2400 BC? to 900 AD?)
Dun Fhionnairidh (NAT)
OS 6" map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1900)
Called Dunien in the OSA (1791-9), it is described as being a round
rock of considerable height, grassed over on three sides, with an area of 0.75 acre on its summit, which seemed to have been enclosed by a wall, all traces of which had gone when the ONB (1872) was compiled. Name Book 1872; OSA 1791-9.
Dun Fhionnairidh, a prominent knoll in a commanding situation, with a roughly circular, flat top measuring about 27.0m in diameter. It has undoubtedly been occupied by a fort which has been almost totally removed. All that remains are two or three outer facing-stones in the S arc and occasional stretches of turf-covered rubble round the rim. Surveyed at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (RL) 9 June 1970.
(NM 6149 4689) Fort (NR) (site of)
OS 6" map (1974)
Fort, Dun Fhionnairigh: The severely denuded remains of an oval stone-walled fort occupy the level summit of a conspicuous steep-sided hill near the mouth of the Abhainn Shalachain, about 270m WNW of Fiunary Manse. On the S and W the position is protected by steep rock-studded slopes up to 50m in height, but on the remaining sides the hill rises barely 10m above the level of the adjacent ground. The fort measures approximately 28m from E to W by 23 m transversely within the ruins of a single wall drawn round the margin of the summit area. The wall, which the OSA (1791-9) states was used as a quarry for the construction of nearby farm-buildings and boundary walls, has been reduced for the most part to a grass-covered scatter of core material nowhere more than 2m wide; on the SW, however, two adjacent stones of the outer face appear to have survived in their original position. The entrance presumably lay somewhere within the gap, about 18m wide, on the E, where the approach to the summit is easiest.
RCAHMS 1980, visited 1974.
This site was included in the Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland online database. See link below for site entry. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 10, 274-5.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1980. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Argyll: an inventory of the monuments volume 3: Mull, Tiree, Coll and Northern Argyll (excluding the early medieval and later monuments of Iona). . 78, No. 137.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 71, 94.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Lock, G. & Ralston, I.. 2017. Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland. SC2534.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6148 4689 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (4)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:7781 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://hillforts.arch.ox.ac.uk/records/SC2534.html (Link to online Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland site entry)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM7781 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22441 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.