MHG47256 - Uppertown
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING (Undated)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (02/06/2004)
NH43SW 50 4425 3108
A robbed building (URQ97 264) stands in waste ground at the NW edge of Uppertown steading at NH 4423 3112. Aligned NE and SW, it measures 8.8m by 3.2m within walls reduced to stony banks 0.2m high. A second building, to the NE, was recently buried beneath debris by the farmer and is no longer visible (inf. Mr D Maclean, Uppertown). There is also a horse-engine platform (URQ97 263) standing against the SW wall of the steading at NH 4425 3108. It measures 7m in diameter and 0.5m in height.
George Brown's 1808 'Plan of the Davoch of Inchbreen' (National Archives of Scotland, RHP 11955) depicts Uppertown as a township of eight buildings, possibly including the building described above, as well as that recently buried. The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet xxviii) depicts five buildings (though not the robbed building) in a layout broadly similar to the earlier township, and the accompanying Name Book (ONB 1871) describes the settlement as 'two farm steadings each of which being one storey high thatched and in good repair'. Parts of the layout established by the 1st edition survive today, though there have been various additions and rebuilding. The horse-engine platform is not depicted on either the 1st edition map or the second edition (Inverness-shire 1904, sheet xxviii).
Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 25 September 1997
<1> RCAHMS, 02/2008, Annual update from Canmore, 259354 (Dataset). SHG24123.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4425 3107 (20m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/259354 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)