MHG4814 - Tobar Na Maor, Dun Osdale
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- INSCRIBED STONE (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
- None recorded
For Dun Osdale, broch see NG24NW0004
NG24NW 3 2408 4648.
A stone, which partly covered the well, Tobar na Maor, beside Dun Osdale until 1910, is now preserved at Dunvegan Castle; although weathered, it bears a crescent and V-rod and a pair of concentric circles. See also NG24NW 7.1.
F T Macleod 1912; RCAHMS 1928; 1985; R B K Stevenson 1961; A Ross 1961.
The stone is much weathered and measures 0.43 x 0.94m; but the traces of the crescent and V-rod and one pair of concentric circles can be seen. Information from R Jones 1980.
Class I symbol stone bearing a crescent and V-rod over a disc.
A.Mack 1997 p.112
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Curle, C L. 1940. 'The chronology of the early christian monuments of Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 74 1939-40, p.60-117. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 60-117. 60-117.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Radford, C A R. 1942. 'The early christian monuments of Scotland', Antiquity Vol. 16 1942, p.1-18. Antiquity. 1-18. 1-18.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Stevenson, R B K. 1961. 'The Inchyra Stone and some other unpublished early Christian monuments', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 92 1958-9, p.33-55. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 33-55. 40-1.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Ross, A. 1961. 'Tobar nam Maor "The well of the Stewards"', Scot Stud Vol. 5 1961, p.206-9. Scot Stud. 206-9. 206-9.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Feachem, R W. 1977. Guide to prehistoric Scotland. 2nd ed.. 198.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Jackson, A. 1984. The symbol stones of Scotland: a social anthropological resolution to the problem of the Picts.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mack, A. 1997. Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones. 112.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 165, No. 528.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Ritchie, J N G. 1985. Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985. 13.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Macleod, F T. 1912. 'Further notes on the antiquities of Skye, chiefly the Districts of Sleat and Strath', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 46 1911-12, p.202-12. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 202-12. 211-12.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 2407 4648 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/10831 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.