MHG4857 - Glendale Mill
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- GRAIN MILL (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1560 AD to 2100 AD)
- (Alternate Type) KILN BARN (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1560 AD to 2100 AD)
Thumbnail Photo - shows mill and unroofed outbuilding.
See Report 1223 and Assoc. Docs. File for photograph/s
Glendale, Skye - Water Mains Renewal Project
S Farrell, Feb 2004
NG14NE 10 c. 168 498
A 19th century rectangular rubble building, thatched, with a single pair of 32in (0.81m) stones driven by an all-iron, 6-spoke overshot wheel, 25in wide by 12ft diameter (1.25 [0.6] by 3.66m), built by A & J Main and Co Ltd, Edinburgh. The millstones, from Rogart Mill, Sutherland are on a half-floor. There is a detached thatched kiln, with hipped roof. Restored 1968-9. (Hume 1977)
Watermill, mid-18th century. A rare survival for this date, built of roughly squared and coursed rubble against the rocky flank of a waterfall at the head of Loch Pooltiel. Iron wheel on south gable with machinery dated 1902, overshot by a wooden lade; detached kiln. Originally thatched, it was slated by 1914 , round the time it ceased use. The present straw thatch dates from a 1970s restoration and needs urgent attention. (Miers 2008)
The miller in the census returns for 1861, 1871 and 1881 was Angus MacLean. The mill is no longer a museum (2011). The building has been re-roofed.
Hume, J. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland, 2, the Highlands and Islands. London, pp. 216-17 pl. 91
Miers, Mary 2008. Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide, by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Minchinton, W. 1984. A guide to industrial archaeology sites in Britain. 169.
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2012. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Broadford. Yes. Digital. Site 59.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 16812 49800 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB467 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/BAR/detail.aspx?sctID=3632 (Buildings at Risk register entry)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/173200 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.