MHG4874 - Fort - Dun Taimh


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • FORT (Early Bronze Age to Pictish - 2400 BC? to 900 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Dun Taimh (NR) Cairn (NAT)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)

Dun Taimh occupies a prominent position at the western extremity of a gently sloping, but precipitous sided, narrow ridge. It is defended by a curved wall built across the ridge and returning a distance of nearly 40 yards along the southern flank, which although precipitous is not quite inaccessible. There is no rampart on the northern flank, as the cliff rises sheer. Across the ridge in front of the main wall is an outer wall erected about 24' 6" distant from it at the centre, the ends of which recurve to meet the inner defence on the edge of the cliff. Both walls are much dilapidated. The inner wall shows small portions of both faces in position; it is 11' 6" in width at the entrance placed in the centre of the ridge,and at most shows a height of 6' of displaced stones. The outer wall is reduced to the foundation course, and at one place, where the two faces remain in situ, it measures 5' in thickness.
The entrance has gone straight through both defences, and where it pierces the inner wall it measures 6' 2" in width. Along the major axis which runs about WNW-ESE the fort measures internally over 132', while it is some 76' across the widest part. Within the dun is a large cairn erected to commemorate the jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1887.
RCAHMS 1928, visited 1915.

Dun Taimh, as described by RCAHMS. The dimensions suggest a fort rather than a dun.
Visited by OS (C F W) 1 June 1961.

Dun Taimh, a fort, as described by RCAHMS and planned by previous OS field surveyor. The entrance in the outer wall is 2.1m in width and the wall thickness here is 1.6m.
Visited by OS (R L) 18 October 1971.

The wall along the SW side can be traced for at least another 12.0m further to the NW than indicated by first OS field surveyor on his sketch plan.
Visited by OS (A A) 5 November 1971.

Runes (two words) have been notes on the Queen Victoria cairn. They were on the lintel of a 'Cupboard' in the cairn. Thus, this stone may have been built into the dun.
Visited by J Close-Brooks (NMAS) July 1977; Information from Lady Bromley, Pursey Furze, Buckland, Faringdon, Oxen.

This site was included in the Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland online database. See link below for site entry. <1>

Sources/Archives (5)



Grid reference Centred NG 3632 3668 (100m by 100m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NG33NE
Geographical Area SKYE AND LOCHALSH
Civil Parish BRACADALE

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.