MHG49222 - Corrour Forest
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- ESTATE (Undated)
- None recorded
(Coire Odhar - dun corrie) The great deer forest of Corrour was traditionally part of the territory of the Macdonells of Keppoch, who used it for summer grazing. Later turned over to sheepwalks, it was bought, along with Inverlair, Spean Bridge/ Blairour and Tirindrish in 1834 by John Walker of Crawfordton, Dumfriesshire, whose son developed it as a stalking estate. In 1891 Corrour (with Fersit) was purchased by the crusading landlord, Sir John Stirling Maxwell of Pollok (1866-1956). He increased the vast landholding to about 55,000 acres with the purchase of Beinn a Bhric, and set about realising his idealistic dream. For Stirling Maxwell, Corrour was much more than just a sporting estate. Here, 1,269 ft up at the head of Loch Ossian, he created a comfortable mansion with ancillary buildings and cultivated a garden and plantations that sealed his reputation as a pioneering environmentalist, forester and horticulturalist. <1>
|Grid reference||NN 410 684 (point)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/277455 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.