MHG49449 - Tomatin, Church Of Scotland
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Undated)
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (24/03/2006)
NH82NW 58 80267 28961
Church (C of S) [NAT]
OS 1:2500 map, 1973.
A fine example of a 'tin' church. It was built in 1903 by the United Free Church as a Mission Church to serve the needs of the workers from the newly built distillery and railway. Tomatin church came under the ownership of the Church to Scotland in 1929.
Information from Vivian Roden
According to Kinross 2010, the tin churches relate to railway expansion. They were available by catalogue and could be shipped by rail (or ship) to the nearest rail-head or port.
Add to bibliography:
Strathdearn Community Council website www.tomatin.org.uk
John Kinross 2010. Discovering the Smallest Churches in Scotland (History Press), pp. 23-4. <2>
<1> RCAHMS, 02/2008, Annual update from Canmore, 279910 (Dataset). SHG24123.
<2> Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH), 2011, Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Strathdearn, Site 10 (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25599.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 80266 28961 (20m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||MOY AND DALAROSSIE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/279910 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.