MHG49557 - Aultbea Free Church
Site of the modern Free Church at Aultbea, first depicted on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (19th Century to 21st Century - 1888 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Aultbea Free Church [NAT]
OS 1:10,560 map, 1968. <1>
19th century Free Church in use without a graveyard in the village of Aultbea; it is a prominent building on the shore front of Aultbea. It was built by Andrew Maitland & Sons, 1888. Visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservati Trust. <2><3>
First shown on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. <4>
The present church, built in 1888, replaces the church, manse and grounds recorded on the 1st edition OS map. There is no sign of an associated burial ground. The contemporary manse is now a private dwelling a short distance to the east, while the modern manse sits behind the church.
Wester Ross Project - Cathy Dagg, 23/3/04
- <1> Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2008. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 280377.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 86901 89239 (20m by 30m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/280377 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.