MHG5033 - Symbol stone, Fiskavaig Bay
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
- None recorded
NG33SW 3 33 34.
Found on the beach at Fiscavaig, Loch Bracadale, this stone is now in NMAS (IB 213); a slab of schist (0.9m by 0.5m and 0.25m thick), it is incised on one face with double disc and Z-rod symbols.
J G Callander 1927; RCAHMS 1928; 1985.
Class I symbol stone bearing a double disc and Z-rod with a crescent and V-rod.
A.Mack 1997 p.33
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Curle, C L. 1940. 'The chronology of the early christian monuments of Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 74 1939-40, p.60-117. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 60-117. 60-117.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Radford, C A R. 1942. 'The early christian monuments of Scotland', Antiquity Vol. 16 1942, p.1-18. Antiquity. 1-18. 1-18.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Jackson, A. 1984. The symbol stones of Scotland: a social anthropological resolution to the problem of the Picts.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mack, A. 1997. Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones. 33.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 149, No. 498.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Ritchie, J N G. 1985. Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985. 13.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums of Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums of Scotland. Digital. IB 213.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Wainwright, F T (ed.). 1955. The problem of the Picts. 1st.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Callander, J G. 1927. 'A symbol stone from Fiscavaig, Skye', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 61 (1926-27), pp 241-3.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 3300 3400 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- SYMBOL STONE (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11078 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.